Get Inspired with Party Ideas and Planning Advice
|PLUS Join the thousands of members already using our Free online and printable invitations and full suite of party planning tools.||Free Sign-up Now »|
Party idea submitted by BizGirl Feb 19th, 2009
Hawaiian Luau Bachelorette Party
This bachelorette party idea was brought to you by: Cindi Brooks of BrassPaperClip
I have to tell you about the bachelorette party I threw for my best friend. She and her fiancé were planning a trip to Hawaii for a honeymoon, so I used a Hawaiian Luau “with a twist” as my theme. I hosted dinner at my house and transformed my dining room into a tikki hut, but tried to keep it a little classy with candles and not too much tacky stuff…the food would be tacky enough! The food was Hawaiian, but I wanted to sex it up a bit, so I bought some fun penis shaped items online to use in the food prep. These little details were a big hit! The party then went on the road in a rented 14 passenger van chauffeured by my brother for a long night of bar hopping in our home town – Wilmington, DE and then as the night went on, we made our way up to Philadelphia, PA for more fun.
For the dinner party, the tricky part was coming up with a menu that could accommodate a vegan and a kosher friend! I ended up doing several kinds of kabobs and kept the food as fresh and natural as I could. I also avoided seafood and dairy. As the girls arrived, they were offered Hawaiian fruit/rum punch and were “lei’d” with brightly colored plastic floral lei’s. I also had t-shirts made for the whole group to wear that said “I got lei’d at Diane’s bachelorette party.” The front pocket featured a tikki mask like one I used to decorate with and had the date and the cities that the party took place in. We enjoyed a nice dinner and opened gifts. Dessert included fresh fruit and penis shaped jello-shooters. Then we made a task jar for Diane to work on while we were out at the bars. Each guest wrote naughty little dares on slips of paper that were collected in a large jar that we carried with us all night. The dares included things like: lick whipped cream off a bald man’s head, kiss a man in uniform, dance on the bar, ask someone for a condom…you get the idea. Raunchy, but fun and harmless. As we worked our way through the tasks, we took pictures of our bachelorette completing her tasks, to be placed in an album with the corresponding slips of paper after the party.
Having a designated driver was really key to the success of the bar hopping portion of the party. Renting a limo was cost prohibitive for the length of time, but it was fun to have the rented van and my brother to drive us around. Safety was very important, as I did not want the girls driving drunk at any part of the night. Before we went out, we crowned the bachelorette with a poufy veil on a barrette that I had made from tulle. She could not be missed as the bachelorette and it was easy to keep an eye on her in the bars!!
So there you have it - I hope you find some ideas here that you can use! See below for a bulleted recap.
Even though I’m a wedding invitation designer now, I think I just e-mailed people for this particular event. If I had to do it now, I would come up with a clever invite to hint at what’s to come…
Some possible ideas:
* A tag attached to a lei and mailed in a padded envelope.
* An invitation skewered on a wooden kabob stick and mailed in a tube or padded envelope.
* A penis shaped card on very high quality stock – formal script – a funny twist on elegant.
* Message in a sand-filled bottle – mailed in a tube
* Budget idea: details handwritten on a vintage Hawaiian postcard – you can find these easily on eBay
* lots of typical party store Hawaiian décor
* tall paper palm tree
* fish net thrown over the tablecloth
* hot pink hula skirt and tikki mask covering the painting over my buffet – made an awesome backdrop for the food buffet. I had also planned to wrap my buffet with a hula skirt, but didn’t get around to it.
* real pineapples with taper candles stuffed into the spiky green tops – it’s easy to carve out a little hole for the tapers and looks super impressive
Menu – I’m happy to provide recipes if needed:
* Grilled marinated chicken, veggie and pineapple kabobs/vegetarian kabobs
* Pasta and veggie salad with penis shaped pasta
* Fresh fruit salad with cinnamon dipping sauce on the side
* Sparkling Hawaiian fruit rum punch with penis shaped ice cubes
* Penis shaped jello shooters – made using the penis shaped ice cube tray
* Penis shaped cookies – didn’t get around to making these either, but I had bought a penis shaped cookie cutter for these
The key to accommodating the vegan successfully was to use only fresh grown ingredients – for Kosher, I could not have meat and dairy on the same plate.
Neither person could eat every single thing there, but there was enough for them to choose from so that it was not awkward. J
* Custom t-shirts
* Hawaiian lei’s
* Dum Dum lollipops – just a little something to suck on for those with an oral fixation ;)
* Opening gifts
* Task jar
add to basket 0 comments
This item has 0 comments
Related Party Ideas
- by BizGirl - Feb 19th, 2009
- This bachelorette party idea brought to you by: Brooke Johnson I recently went to an overnight bachelorette party held at a mansion with an indoor... more
- by chavasdream - Feb 5th, 2012
- How about doing it Island Style? Nice way to create that island feeling and sense of being away on vacation! Pan-A-Cea Steel Drum and Calypso... more